<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5529474\x26blogName\x3dDimmy+Karras\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2234159095245132931', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, August 29, 2005

The Awfulness of the MTV Awards

Didn't watch much of the show last night, but what I saw was painful to view. At one point I turned on the TV to find "Diddy" (the P was getting between him and his fans--kind of like R. Kelly) pretending to conduct an orchestra in the background of a Notorious BIG rap. It was horrible. I think Snoop Dogg was involved too.

Later on I clicked over and saw (Don't Call Me Lil') Bow Wow comparing bling with Paris Hilton. Neither one of them was intelligible, and I consider myself at least roughly conversant in ebonics/slang. I'm not one to dis the culture as trashy, but this was Sodom and Gomorrah type schlock last night. I found myself wishing Katrina had obliterated Miami after all.

And to think, I used to like the MTV Awards years ago. Another sign I'm getting old.

One other point I've wanted to make is the travesty of the "MTV2 Award." What is up with the segregation of music? It seems like all of the good stuff has been migrated to that channel anyway, so maybe it's for the best.

UPDATE: Just checked who actually won stuff. How can Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" be the best video of the year, and yet lose the best pop video category to Kelly Clarkson?