<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5529474\x26blogName\x3dDimmy+Karras\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2234159095245132931', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What Kind of Obscene Gesture?

You know, ESPN.com, when I click on a link to a story headlined "NBA Fines Mobley for Obscene Gesture", I am only clicking because I want details. Then all you give me is this: "Mobley, who scored 22 points in an 87-82 loss, made the gesture after hitting a 3-pointer with 42.4 seconds to play that cut the SuperSonics' lead to 83-82." Either this wasn't on the TV or I missed it cuz I was watching the game. Did he give the crowd the finger? Did he grab his crotch? Inquiring minds want to know. It would be convenient if the NBA could signal what kind of gesture it was through the dollar amount of the fine, eg $15,000 = crotch grab.

While I'm making a nonsensical NBA post, I'll pose this rhetorical question: why are all of these playoff games lasting three hours? I feel like the commercial breaks are definitely longer since TNT has to subject me to a dozen "Into the West" promos a night. Hint to the league and the TV people: if you add time to the breaks, the game lasts longer! That's why you keep missing the first six minutes of the late games! I would be annoyed if I were a fan of one of those Western Conference teams.

Also, last note to TNT: Inside the NBA is one of the higher quality programs on television. It's a shame that it ends up airing at 1:30 on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (I plead insomnia regarding last night, otherwise I wouldn't have been up, nor should any normal person be).

Enough NBA angst, it's time for some goodies, courtesy of Kriston at BTD. I present the dinner conversation of Yao Ming, Dikembe Mutombo and Patrick Ewing. The highlight for me:

EWING: How many languages do you speak, seven?

MUTOMBO: I speak Ebonics now, so eight. Yao, do you speak Ebonics? [Yao shrugs.]

Mutombo's cellphone rings. The ring tone is 50 Cent's In Da Club. He answers and starts speaking one of his eight languages -- not English.

EWING: Man, every time I go over to Dikembe's, he's on the phone. [Ewing picks up his cellphone and starts mocking Mutombo.] 'Doobleedoo doobloodoo doobleedoo. ...' I'm like, 'What the hell is he saying?'

Blogging of insane people, don't you wonder what gets said when Ricky Davis and Stephen Jackson are exchanging their trash talk (I'm not getting into the Celtics debacle from the other night, just go here for that). Simmons has a persuasive debunking of the "Reggie Miller is a superstar" hooey today--I still chuckle every time I see that his blog is called "More Cowbell."

I will try to do more oddball NBA playoff-themed posts in the coming weeks, just ignore them if that's not your thing.