<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5529474\x26blogName\x3dDimmy+Karras\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2234159095245132931', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Mr. Karras Goes to Washington

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to Washington, DC, where I will be taking up residence as part of the new adventure I alluded to back on June 30 when I left my job. Like a moth to the flame, I couldn't resist being in the center of the action, so here I go. I plan on keeping the details of my actual life nice and vague, as in the past. You can just pretend that I'm running the federal government or something.

While I'll be able to visit the old haunts of the real (fake) Damien Karras all I want now, I do feel some sadness on leaving Boston. All the same, I will return frequently to see family and such, and today's Boston papers give me good reason to seek new surroundings.

First, and for the last time perhaps (yeah, right), I'll express my disgust with a Boston Herald front-page headline, which today was "DNC a Total Waste." The economic impact studies are all a load of horse manure. Of course the people who were trying to sell the convention inflated numbers, while others who wanted to see the convention fail have complained excessively about some shops seeing limited business during the convention week. All of the studies I've heard about are far too short-sighted, missing the essential point that the convention's economic impact will only be felt in the long term. Boston put itself on the map as a city that can host big events like this, and all of the media coverage originating from here amounted to free tourist advertising for the region. I'm not sure how you put a dollar figure on that. (The Herald's web site seems to be messed up right now.)

Meanwhile, today in the Globe Dan Shuaghnessy had a somewhat sentimental look at the first Red Sox game at Fenway since the Nomar trade:

For the first time in eight years, fans knew there was no chance of seeing him running his sprints in shallow right field. He wouldn't be signing autographs by the first base tarp. There was no chance to see him go up and down the dugout steps -- two feet on each step each time. No glove-tugging and toe-tapping at home plate.

But only ten days ago, Shaughnessy wrote of Nomar, "He hates Boston and he hates the Red Sox and you should be glad that he's gone. If you are a Red Sox fan, he is not your friend." If that's all true, then why the sentimentality, Dan? I would appreciate a little consistency in opinions, rather than ecstasy after wins and bitter sadness following defeats, which is more often what the newspaper columns serve up.

The Globe, however, made up for this today with an article on how no one can understand the annoncements at the T stations. But don't worry, our public servants are on it: "State transportation officials say the situation will improve in about a year." (emphasis added) I will gladly trade the T for the Washington Metro.

OK, that's all from me until Thursday afternoon, hopefully by which time I'll be connected and online in my new place. I'll stay true to my Boston roots and keep reading the papers and all, but of course I'll be throwing in some things I notice from being around DC too. After all, I really think the Internet is lacking a young person who blogs about politics from Washington, don't you? We'll see where it goes.

Until next time...