<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d5529474\x26blogName\x3dDimmy+Karras\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dimmykarras.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2234159095245132931', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, August 10, 2003

Marcus Banks

The Globe's profile of the Celtics top draft pick, Marcus Banks, is interesting for a few reasons. For one thing, there's the strange fact that Banks is the first NBA player ever to have grown up in Las Vegas. More importantly, there's his obsession with being the starting point guard from day one in Boston:

"'I'm not going to Boston not to start,' said Banks. 'I refuse. I'm going to do everything in my power to start. That's my goal, unless they bring in a guy that's hands-down better than me in every category. I've never come across anyone who can stop me from doing anything I want to do, stop me from pushing the ball up the court, going by 'em and scoring. It's not going to happen. I'm not going to let it happen.'"

I'm all for the kid having self-confidence, but "I refuse" not to start? How about just saying you have confidence that if you work hard preparing for the season, you will prove yourself worthy of the starting job? Wouldn't that be enough? He stayed in school through his senior year, which should help some in adjusting to the league, but he still has to realize that the NBA game is much tougher than the WAC. I saw him play in the Boston summer league. He was backup quality, I would say, worthy of an NBA roster but not a starting job just yet.